Skip to main content

Where Were You A Year Ago??

Story of the Month

Entry View - Before
I truly cannot believe that it has been a year since I opened the doors to Swans Studios in Old Oakland. As I celebrate the one year anniversary of my business, I am humbly aware this business would not be possible without the support and loyalty of my clients, friends, family, and community. I feel it is always important to pause when arriving at milestones such as this one and soak in all the positives!  Life can surprise us at times.

Entry View - After


One day you are walking along and you see an opportunity and the next thing you know you have taken a new risk and made some sort of dramatic change and you've arrived at where you had always wanted to be, but perhaps you had taken the long way around to get there. I'm so excited to celebrate this milestone and can't wait to see what the future years will bring for me at Swans Studios.



My new work space
Building Swans Studios was a whirlwind and certainly not something I had planned on doing a year ago, but walking along and finding this space right under my nose (literally) was an opportunity I couldn't pass up. After signing the lease on August 14th, I had a lot of work to do before the space was ready for me to have clients there, but after sixteen years of owning my previous salons, I knew the who, what, why, when, where and how to get it done; so as you may know I did. 

Our welcome area


Here are some gallery pictures to show the before and after...it gives me a lot of appreciation for all the people that helped with the renovations and upgrades! Like I said, I could not have done this without you, my trusted community and clients. Thank you so much for your continued support!




My "before" hair

Hair Queen News 

Along with Swans Studios growing and thriving...I did some growing of my own, my hair that is! For the first time in quite a few years I decided to grow out my hair. I'm very excited about my long, short haircut and it is fun to have some locks and length on my head. It will be fun to style my hair for the holidays with a curl or two….

My "after" hair







It is not too soon for you to be thinking about holiday hair.  Are you ready for a change, a little fall color, maybe some texture?  Let’s talk the next time you are in the chair. Visit www.suzannevanhouten.com to book your next appointment!


Runs Businesses With Scissors



Swans Studios didn't just happen overnight, but almost! I used all my past industry experiences to successfully build Swans Studios from the ground up. My years in the trenches taught me a lot about the who, what, why, when, where and how to get it done.

In the salon industry, boutique salons are all the rage and for me, at this juncture in my career, it made sense to adopt this model for my latest venture.  I love having my studio associates as colleagues and I love having my privacy. With this business model I am able to serve my salon clients and my consulting clients in one location; it makes good mental, spiritual, creative, and financial sense.

Are you ready for your next move?  If so, I am at your service. I would love to apply my years of experience in helping you transition to a new space if that is the next step in your business. For more information check out the website www.suzannevanhouten.com and my blog at www.svhrunsbusinesseswithscissors.blogspot.com. I look forward to helping you find your new business path this fall.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a Wonderful Decade

 HairQueen News It is with joy and a little sorrow that I after a fantastic ten year run I am announcing the closing of Swans Studios. Thank You Swans Studios My lease is up, I’m retired from my full-time career and now it’s time to close my brick-and-mortar business doors. The good news is that 936B Clay Street will reopen under new ownership by Diane Zelaya, my long-time associate and friend.  Congratulations Diane Join me in wishing Diane well in her new business endeavor and me well in this phase of my retirement plan. Don't worry I will continue to do my one-day-a-week V.I.P. Client Day at Diane’s Studios, Bay Vibrant. You can't get rid of me and Never My contact information remains the same. If you would like to rotate into my one-day-a-week schedule call 510-545-2955 or email, suzanne@suzannevanhouten.com or click here to book online.  Happy End of Summer!

Miss You

HairQueen News The past six months since I stepped into semi-retirement life have flown by! My new schedule of one-day-a-week continues to be working out.  I truly do miss so many of you from my full-time schedule.  There have been times that I have grieved this change and times I pinch myself in gratitude for this change, especially for the time with my granddaughters.  I continue to offer my gray hair transition specialty service. If you or someone you know is ready to embrace their grey, I would love the referral. Check out this article here for more details . For information re my one-day-a-week schedule and for future appointments with me call 510-545-2955 or email, suzanne@suzannevanhouten.com or click here to book online.                                   Swans Studios There are changes in the air at Swans Studios, I am looking for someone to share my studio and for someone to rent our third studio, please pass the word. Here’s a link to the ad on Craigslist. Come Join

Salon Suite Opportunity

HairQueen News Hello, I hope your 2023 is off to a good start! I trust you had a lovely holiday season, seems like an age ago now?  My very best wishes to you for a peaceful and delightful 2023. My holiday season was festive and especially fun with a one year old and a three and half year old, (granddaughters are the best.) I cannot help but marvel at how little time I seemed to have with my new “tip of my scissors schedule”, as I prepped for the holidays and wrapped up the year for Swans Studios.  Its true retirement life is a busy life. My new schedule of one-day-a-week is working out so far.  I do miss so many of you from my full-time schedule.   I know you are in good hands. I appreciate the love, on-going support and good wishes. Swans Studios News I am now looking for a new person to join Swans Studios. I would to find someone wonderful to share my studio since I am no longer there full-time and it’s an amazing place to work. If you know any hair stylists, ready f